This easy Italian cucumber and tomato salad is refreshing and crunchy! A delicious red wine vinaigrette makes this light and tangy. I grew up eating this and thankfully for me, my family loves it as much as I do.
There is nothing quite as good as a nice ripe tomato, except when you pair it with a crisp cucumber and dress it with a red wine vinaigrette. This salad brings me back to the days when my father and grandfather had their backyard gardens and tomatoes and cucumbers were always fresh and plentiful.
Fresh Ripe tomatoes
Cucumbers: I love English cucumbers because the skin is tender enough to eat so there is no need to peel them.
Onion: You can use a red or white onion in this salad.
Garlic: Fresh finely diced or thinly sliced.
Oregano: I use dried because I always have in the house and the flavor is very robust.
Basil: This has to be fresh, so you get the lovely aromatics of the basil as well as the wonderful flavor when combined with the tomatoes.
Olive Oil: Use extra virgin if you have it. It is luxurious in this salad and has a richer flavor then regular olive oil. You will taste the difference!
Red Wine Vinegar: This gives the salad a little extra tang!
How to make cucumber and tomato salad
This really is the easiest salad you will ever make. All of the ingredients go into a salad bowl and get tossed together. There is no need to mix the dressing separately. Make any adjustments to suit your taste. I like the dressing a little tangier, so I add a few more splashes of red wine vinegar. I highly recommend having a loaf of bread to dip into the dressing at the bottom of the bowl. It is really the best thing you will ever eat!
Here are some recipes that you might like to serve with the salad:
Grilled chicken with Lemon Garlic Herb Chicken Marinade
Other Salads to ideas
Easy Italian Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 2 cups Tomatoes Cut into 8ths
- 2 cups Cucumbers Cut in bite size pieces
- ¼ Onion Sliced thin, red or white onions are fine
- 1 clove Garlic Minced
- ⅛ tsp. Black Pepper ground
- ½ tsp. Salt Kosher
- ¼ tsp. Oregano Dried, if using fresh use ½ tsp.
- 1 tbsp. Basil Fresh, sliced into ribbons or torn
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil Extra Virgin
- 1 tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well. You may want to add additional salt or pepper to your taste. I also add an additional splash of red wine vinegar because I like the tang, but others like it a little less potent. Enjoy!