Chicken Rollatini are tender breaded chicken breast cutlets rolled around a tasty spinach, sausage and feta filling. Romano cheese is added to the breadcrumbs, so the chicken is flavored inside and out. The ingredients in this rollatini recipe have so much flavor on their own that you don’t need to add any other seasonings!
This Italian dish is one that you will use for family dinners and entertaining guests alike. Chicken rollatini is easier than you think to make but looks and tastes incredibly special. Stuffed chicken recipes are a great way to use simple ingredients to create impressive meals. My Stuffed Grilled Chicken Breast and Italian Chicken Rolls with Italian ham and cheese are perfect examples.
Serve these tasty chicken rolls over your favorite sauce with some vegetables and a side salad and you have a complete meal your whole family will love. Need some inspiration for side dishes? Try Parmesan Crusted Potatoes or Italian Scalloped Potatoes or one of my many simple pasta recipes. A delicious focaccia or a crusty Italian bread are the prefect way to round out your menu.
Table of contents
Ingredients you will need for Chicken Rollatini
- Boneless Skinless Chicken breast or cutlets: If you can’t find chicken cutlets, you can use whole boneless chicken breast. Use a sharp knife to slice the whole breast horizontally to make thin cutlets. Lay the chicken cutlets between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or a rolling pin to flatten them so they are an even thickness. This not only tenderizes them, but it will help them cook evenly.
- Spinach: I used fresh baby spinach in this recipe, but you can also use frozen spinach that has been drained of any liquid and patted dry.
- Sweet Italian Sausage: Remove the casings from the sausage before you start to cook it. I like pork sausage, but you can substitute other types such as turkey or chicken sausage.
- Olive oil Onion and Garlic
- Feta cheese: Crumble the feta so that it can be easily combined in the filling.
- Seasoned Italian style breadcrumbs: Homemade or store bought are fine.
- Pecorino Romano cheese: Freshly grated cheese adds so much salty nutty flavor! If you don’t have Romano cheese Parmesan cheese is a good alternative.
- Fresh mint: This is optional, but I love the added fresh taste it brings to the bread crumb mixture.
How to make this delicious Chicken Rollatini recipe
- Make the filling: Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the sausage to a mixing bowl. Then add some olive oil to the same skillet and sauté the onion and garlic just until tender. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until it is wilted. Mix the spinach with the sausage and feta cheese until combined and set aside.
2. Coat the chicken: Combine breadcrumbs, Romano cheese and fresh mint in a rimmed dish. Prepare a separate bowl or dish with olive oil. Working with one chicken cutlet at a time, dip them in the olive oil so that both sides are coated. Let the excess oil drip into the dish. Then dredge the cutlets in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure both sides are evenly coated. Repeat this with the remaining chicken.
3. Assemble the rollatini: Brush olive oil on the bottom of a baking dish. Lay chicken cutlets on a flat work surface. Spread about two tablespoons of filling evenly on each one. Starting with the thinnest end of the cutlet roll them up and place them seam side down in the baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the chicken rollatini or spray with a little non-stick spray.
4. Bake: Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 15-20 minutes until the breading is golden brown. The chicken is done when a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the chicken roll registers 165 degrees F. I recommend using the meat thermometer as your guide for doneness.
Try one of these variations of this tasty recipe:
- Substitute gooey cheese like mozzarella cheese or fontina for the feta.
- Add ricotta cheese to the filling.
- Use hot Italian sausage if you like things spicy.
- Add some sun-dried tomatoes to the filling for additional flavor.
- When you remove the foil, spoon a little marinara sauce over each rollatini and top it with a slice of mozzarella cheese to make this alla parmigiana.
Make ahead, storing and freezing oven baked Chicken Rollatini
Chicken rollatini is perfect for making ahead if you are preparing for a dinner party or even a date night. Earlier in the day the rolls can be stuffed and placed in the baking dish, covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerated until you are ready to bake them. If you want to freeze them for later use, place them in freezer bags and squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible. They can be frozen for up to two months.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for several days.
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken is so versatile to cook with and I love to use it in so many ways. Here are some recipes that the entire family will love. Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta, Chicken Spiedini, Italian Chicken Cutlets and Chicken Pomodoro are always a hit. If you like to grill or smoke then you must try my Grilled Chicken Legs with my special rub and the very best Smoked Chicken Legs.
I love to get your feedback so if you tried this Chicken Rollatini recipe or any other recipes on this website, please leave me a comment below. I hope you enjoy our recipes and look forward to hearing from you!
Chicken Rollatini Recipe
- 1 Oven safe baking dish
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 6 oz Baby spinach
- 6 oz Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 tbs Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 tbsp Feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Mint fresh, chopped
- ⅓ cup Olive oil + 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Brush olive oil on the bottom and sides of an oven safe baking dish and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until there is no pink left. Transfer the sausage to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil, sauté the onion and garlic until just tender. Add the spinach and cook until it is wilted. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked spinach and feta to the sausage and mix to combine.
- Cut the chicken breasts horizontally to create two chicken cutlets from each breast. Working with one breast at time, place them between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them so that they are about ¼" thick.
- Pour the olive oil into a rimmed dish and combine the breadcrumbs, romano cheese and mint in another rimmed dish.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the olive coating both sides, then in the breadcrumb mixture coating both sides. Lay the chicken on a flat surface and spread about 2 tablespoons of the sausage mixture across it. Starting with the thinnest end of the cutlet, roll it up, jelly roll style and place the rollatini seam side down in the baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another ten minutes or until the internal temperature of the rollatini reaches 165℉. You can place the dish under the broiler for 2 minutes if you want to crisp up the top of the chicken. Serve with you favorite sauce.