Parmesan crusted potatoes are one of the tastiest ways to make potatoes. Potatoes are cut and coated in a garlicky parmesan cheese crust and baked in melted butter until they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. This easy recipe takes oven-roasted potatoes to a whole new level!
If you like potatoes you are going to love these crispy parmesan roasted potatoes. They are a perfect side dish to any number of main courses like Nonna’s Chicken Cutlets , Lemon Rosemary Roasted Chicken, grilled steak or Shake and Bake Style Pork Chops. But we also love to eat these delicious potatoes as an appetizer or snack with our favorite dipping sauces. They make a great party food, along with Arancini and Stromboli.
When I saw these crispy parmesan potatoes being made on social media, I knew I had to try them myself. This recipe could not be any easier or more delicious! It has become one of my go to recipes for those weeknights when I want something that pleases everyone, requires minimal prep and hands off cooking.
Simple Ingredients You Need and substitutions For Crispy Potatoes
- Baby Potatoes (new potatoes) – halved. I love to use baby Yukon Gold Potatoes or Red potatoes because they are the perfect size. Cut them in half so that half of the potato is coated in the parmesan mixture and the rest has the skin on it. You can use any type of potato you have on hand, including russet potatoes or sweet potatoes. Just make sure they are cut into similar size pieces so they cook evenly.
- Parmesan Cheese – Freshly grated parmesan cheese will provide maximum flavor. I also like to add a couple tablespoons of shredded parmesan for added texture.
- Seasonings: You can have some fun here and use your favorite seasonings. I like to use dried thyme and sage, paprika, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. But you can also use Italian seasoning or other herbs you like to cook with.
- Salted Butter – You will need some for the seasoning mixture and some to brush on top of the potatoes.
Instructions For Making Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Place butter in a baking dish or casserole pan and place it in the oven as it preheats.
- Wash, dry and slice the potatoes in half. Then use a sharp knife to cut diagonal slits into the cut side of the potatoes.
- Combine all of the seasonings and cheese in a small bowl. When the butter is melted, sprinkle the herb seasoning evenly over the bottom of the dish. Then press the potatoes in a single layer, cut side down, into the herb and cheese mixture. Brush the tops of the potatoes with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated 400F degree oven for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes have a golden crust and are tender when poked with a toothpick.
- Using a combination of grated and shredded parmesan cheese adds to the crispiness of the roasted potatoes.
- When you sprinkle the cheese and season mixture into the bottom of the baking dish don’t try to mix it or stir it. Just try to sprinkle it in an even layer.
- Watch that the cheese doesn’t burn while cooking. It can go from perfect to too brown quickly.
- Add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the seasonings if you want a little heat.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh herbs on the potatoes before serving them. Fresh parsley looks especially nice.
Storing and Reheating Parmesan Potatoes
We don’t have leftover parmesan potatoes very often, but when we do, placing them in an airtight container and storing them in the refrigerator will keep them fresh for 3-4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave in 30 second intervals or in the oven.
I find that reheating them on a sheet pan in the oven it will give you a crispier result then in the microwave. Set the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom of the pan with cooking spray and place the potatoes cut side down on the prepared pan. Roast for about 10 minutes or until heated through and and the edges are nice and crisp.
I love to get your feedback so if you tried this recipe for Parmesan Crusted Potatoes or any other recipe on this website, please leave me a star rating and comment below. I hope you enjoy our recipes and look forward to hearing from you!
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- 1 9×13 baking dish
- 1 lb. Baby potatoes halved
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ tsp Sage dried
- ½ tsp Thyme dried
- ½ tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper ground
- 4 tbsp Butter salted, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Place 3 tablespoons of butter in the baking dish and put it in the oven as it pre-heats. When the butter is melted remove from the oven.
- Combine the parmesan cheese and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Then cut two diagonal slits into the flat side of the potatoes, turn each half ¼ turn and cut two more slits into the potatoes.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese mixture over the melted cheese and place the potatoes cut side down onto the cheese, pressing firmly down on each one. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and crisped up and the potatoes are soft and tender when poked with a toothpick.