This recipe for easy homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops takes the mystery out of those delicious crispy baked pork chops better known as Shake n Bake Pork Chops. I add a little Pecorino Romano cheese to give the recipe an Italian twist, because cheese makes everything better!
This recipe for juicy pork chops is a perfectly delicious dinner you can make any night of the week. Serve it with Steak Fries or Oven Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes and some green beans or asparagus for a meal the whole family will love.
I think everyone has had Kraft Shake n Bake at one point in their lives and can attest that it really does make tasty breaded pork chops. But you won’t believe how easy it is to make your own seasoning mix with simple ingredients you have in your pantry. You will never need to buy this ready made mix at the grocery store again.
Aside from being super tasty, the great thing about shake and bake is that there is no need for an egg wash, or dirtying any extra dishes. Season the pork chops in a plastic bag and then throw it out when you are done. In fact let the kids make them. They will have fun shaking the pork chops, freeing you up to do something else!
Now you can have tasty Shake and Bake Pork Chops any time you crave them.
Ingredients you need to make this homemade version of Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- Pork Chops: You can use either bone in or boneless chops. I like about 1″-1 1/2″ thick chops for this recipe. Thicker chops will take a bit longer to cook.
- Italian bread crumbs: They will already be seasoned with some Italian herbs.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Pecorino romano cheese: You can substitute parmesan cheese if you prefer.
- Olive Oil or vegetable oil.
- Make breadcrumb mixture
- Combine bread crumbs, olive oil, cheese and seasoning in a mixing bowl until the mixture is completely moistened. Transfer the breading to plastic storage bag. You can also just mix everything together in the plastic bag if you prefer.
- Coat the pork chops
- Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel. Place one or two pork chops in the plastic bag and seal it, making sure there is air trapped in the bag. Shake the bag until the pork chops are completely coated with the breading mixture. Repeat this with the remaining pork chops.
- Place the pork chops in a single layer on a sheet pan that has been covered with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 16-19 minutes or until they are golden brown and an instant read thermometer registers 145 degrees F.
Baking Tips and variations:
- For easy clean up I recommend using aluminum foil or parchment paper on your baking sheet. You can also place a wire rack on top of your sheet pan and bake the chops on the rack. Greasing the rack with cooking spray will make sure that the pork chops don’t stick.
- To get the most tender pork chops, pound them lightly between two sheet of plastic wrap before coating them.
- Cooking time is dependent on the thickness of your pork chops. The best way to make sure that your pork chops are cooked perfectly is to use a meat thermometer and cook them to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Let the cooked chops rest for a couple of minutes before serving them.
- This simple seasoned bread crumb mixture can also be used to bake chicken.
- Add a little cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix to spice things up a bit.
Breaded pork chops go well with so many things that they really do make for easy meal planning. A simple side of Italian Green Bean and Potato Salad or a pasta salad like my Zesty Italian Pasta Salad are great options.
You can certainly bake your pork chops at a lower temperature but the lower heat will result in less caramelization so your chops will not be as crispy. If you adjust your cooking temperature you will need to adjust your cooking time. Whatever temperature you set your oven to, make sure you cook the pork chops to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Here are some general cooking times for 1″ thick pork chops:
350 degrees: 30-35 minutes
375 degrees: 20-25 minutes
400 degrees: 16-19 minutes
425 degrees: 12-15 minutes
The leftover dry ingredients should not be reused. They have come in contact with raw meat and it would not be safe to store them and reuse them at a later date or in another recipe. This could spread bacteria which could make you sick.
I love to get your feedback so if you tried this Easy Shake and Bake Pork Chops recipe or any other recipes on this website, please leave me a comment below. I hope you enjoy our recipes and look forward to hearing from you!
Easy Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- 1 Plastic storage bag
- 1 Rimmed sheet pan
- 4 Pork Chops 1" thick, bone in or boneless
- ⅓ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tp Salt Kosher
- ¼ tsp Black pepper ground
- 1 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- 1 tbsp Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened with the oil. Transfer the seasoning mix to a plastic bag.
- Working with one or two pork chops at a time, place them in the bag and seal the it trapping air in the bag. Shake the bag until the pork chops are thoroughly coated with the seasoning mix. Place the pork chops on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chops.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until the pork chops are golden brown and a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 145° F. Rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.