Chocolate Budino with Kahlua Mascarpone Cream makes me absolutely euphoric! As soon as that creamy, smooth, chocolatey goodness with a hint of Kalua hits your mouth, your taste buds wake up and shout “Where have you been all my life”! The deep chocolate flavor reminds me of my decadent Mousse al Cioccolato (Italian Chocolate Mousse).
Once you try this Italian style pudding it will quickly become one of your favorite chocolate desserts.
Table of contents
- So, what is Budino you ask?
- Ingredients you will need to make the Budino
- Ingredients you will need to make the Kahlua Mascarpone Cream
- How to make the Budino
- How to make the Kahlua mascarpone cream
- Cooking tips for best results
- What I love about this chocolate Budino recipe
- Other dessert recipes to try
Have you ever eaten something, and it was so good it made you swoon? Well, that is exactly what happens when I eat this Budino. And it happens every single time, no matter how often I have this delicious Italian dessert. Topped with a creamy Kahlua laced mascarpone cream it becomes the most decadent dessert your will ever eat!
So, what is Budino you ask?
Budino is basically an Italian pudding. The difference between American pudding and Budino is that pudding is made with milk, sugar, and a thickening agent, while Budino is made with eggs. You might say well, custard is made with eggs? That is correct, but Budino is made on the stove top, while custard is baked in the oven.
The texture of Budino is also a little different then a pudding or custard, in that it is firmer and less jiggly.
Ingredients you will need to make the Budino
Chocolate: Two types of chocolate produce the deep chocolate flavor; unsweetened cocoa powder and Semi-sweet chocolate chips (or finely chopped chocolate). Use good quality chocolate for the richest chocolate flavor and smoothest texture.
Milk and Heavy cream: I use equal parts of whole milk and heavy cream, but you can substitute half and half for the full amount of both.
Ingredients you will need to make the Kahlua Mascarpone Cream
Mascarpone: Mascarpone is a smooth creamy Italian cheese similar to cream cheese but lighter in flavor. you can find it in most grocery stores.
How to make the Budino
- Combine all of the ingredients except the semisweet chocolate in a medium saucepan set over medium heat and stir to combine. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to thicken. When the custard mixture coats the back of a spoon it is ready to be taken off the heat. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the hot cream over a large bowl of chocolate chips and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the Budino into individual serving bowls and refrigerate until completely cooled
How to make the Kahlua mascarpone cream
- Combine all the ingredients in a chilled mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Cooking tips for best results
- To avoid lumps in your pudding you need to stir the egg mixture constantly until it is thickened.
- Set a fine mesh strainer or sieve over the bowl of chocolate chips. Pour the hot cream mixture into the sieve and press it through with a spoon to remove any lumps.
- To help maintain a creamy texture, let the hot custard sit on the chocolate for a minute. The chocolate will begin to melt and making it easier to whisk into a smooth consistency.
- Once the Budino has been poured into your serving bowls, let it cool slightly before covering it with plastic wrap and refrigerating it.
- This recipe is easy to adjust to different flavors. If you don’t have Kahlua, you can substitute, espresso, Irish Cream, your favorite flavored brandy or liqueur (hazelnut is delicious!) or just use vanilla extract. If you are using an extract for flavoring, I would reduce the amount to just a couple of teaspoons.
- This dessert would be wonderful with a crumbled cookie crust on the bottom or sprinkled on top of the Budino. You can use crumbled graham crackers, Oreos, amaretti or Bischoff cookies for some added crunch.
- A sprinkle of sea salt will bring out the intense flavor of the chocolate in sweet Italian dish.
- Top it with a peanut butter or caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle some crushed or chopped nuts, such as pistachios, almonds, or pecans on top.
- It would also make a delicious pie! Pour the Budino into your favorite pie crust and top with the mascarpone cream or simple whipped cream.
What I love about this chocolate Budino recipe
- First of all it is very easy to make. There are only a few simple steps, and you have an impressive dessert.
- It can be made a day or two in advance and it will still be delicious.
- It is versatile in that you can change up the flavors or how you serve it. It is usually prepared in individual serving containers or bowls, but you can just make one big bowl and spoon out what you need. I love to serve this Italian chocolate pudding in martini glasses topped with fresh raspberries for a very elegant presentation. If you want a more rustic feel, use small jars instead.
- A little goes a long way. This is such a decadently rich and satisfying dessert that you can make smaller servings, and no one will feel like you skimped.
- Budino can be a casual family dessert just as easily as it can be the perfect ending to an elegant dinner party.
Properly covered with plastic wrap it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
I have not tried freezing it, so I cannot recommend it. It will likely change the texture of the dessert. If you do try it, I would love to hear what your results are.
Other dessert recipes to try
Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chambord Glaze
Chocolate Budino with Kahlua Mascarpone Cream
- 6 Serving dishes or ramekins
- 1 Fine mesh sieve
- 8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 Egg yolks
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder unsweetened
- 2 tbsp Kahlua
Kahlua Mascarpone Cream
- 1 cup Heavy cream cold
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese cold
- ⅓ cup Confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup Kahlua
- Place the chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the mixture heats up and starts to thicken. When the cream coats the back of a spoon it is ready to be taken off the heat.
- Set a fine mesh sieve over the bowl of chocolate chips. Pour the hot cream mixture into the sieve and press it through with a spoon. to remove any lumps.
- Allow the hot cream to melt the chocolate for a minute or so, then whisk it until the chocolate and cream are smooth and completely blended.
- Pour it into the serving dishes and cool for a few minutes before covering with plastic wrap and placing in refrigerator until completely cooled, 2-4 hours.
Kahlua Mascarpone Cream
- Using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients until stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
- Top the cooled Budino with the cream when you are ready to serve.
3 thoughts on “Chocolate Budino With Kahlua Mascarpone Cream”
Delicious and super creamy
Thank you for sharing, easy to make and a joy… no, a feast for the taste buds!
Thank you for your kind note! I am so glad you enjoyed this!