Every family cook needs an easy one pan roasted chicken and vegetables recipe they can rely on. This is a classic dinner that everyone loves and that makes planning and clean up a breeze. Our recipe uses a wonderfully fragrant Italian herb blend on both the chicken and the vegetables, so they complement each other perfectly.
Ingredients and variations
The ingredients for this one pan dinner are pretty simple and probably already in your pantry (except the chicken, that is in your fridge!).
I love a roasted chicken breast so that is my top choice for this recipe. But you can also make this with a whole chicken as well . Follow the same instructions for coating the chicken with the oil and seasonings. You will need to increase the cooking time if you use the whole chicken. But either way you should cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165°.
There is no hard and fast rules about the vegetables that you use in this recipe. I always have carrots, potatoes, and onions on hand, but you can use whatever you like. Do you have parsnips, sweet potatoes, or asparagus in your fridge? Add whatever you like and make this perfect for your family.
I create my own blend of herbs to season the chicken and vegetables and I have included the mix in the recipe below. It is a blend of dried rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, parsley, marjoram and basil.
Make the recipe
Place all of the vegetables in a baking dish or cast iron pan, drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and 1 tsp of the herb mixture. Toss to coat.
Rub olive oil all over the chicken including under the breast, season and squeeze lemon juice on it. place it on top of the vegetables.
Cook in for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- To create a beautiful golden crispy skin, don’t skip the olive oil and cook it uncovered. There is no need to fear that it will dry out. The olive oil will help to seal in the moisture while crisping up the skin.
- Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, remove the it from the oven and allow it to rest for about 10-15 minutes to let the juices redistribute into the meat. This step really does ensure that the chicken is moist and juicy when you cut into it.
- The herb blend will make a little more than what you need for this recipe. The leftover herb mix can be stored in a plastic bag or a glass jar for use in another recipe or for the next time you make this roasted chicken and vegetables.
- To make sure that the vegetables all cook evenly and are done at the same time, cut the them all about the same size.
- Sometimes the carrots and potatoes need a few more minutes to cook. Depending on how big your chicken pieces are, they may be done cooking before the vegetables are. Just transfer the chicken to a plate and cover it. Then let the vegetables continue to cook while the chicken rests.
What to serve with Roasted Chicken and Vegetables?
This recipe really is a complete meal in one pan, but if you really want to add something more to your dinner, a nice loaf of bread is ideal. I love this recipe for No Knead Bread as a side for this classic dinner. This crusty bread is the perfect accompaniment for a cozy hearty meal like this. Don’t have time to make traditional bread, try this Homemade Cornbread recipe. It is exceptionally moist and sweet and goes great with a this oven roasted chicken and vegetables.
Looking for other delicious chicken recipes? Try one of these:
One Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 Chicken Breasts Split, bone on and with Skin
- 3 Carrots Peeled and cut in 2-3"inch pieces
- 3 Potatoes Russet, Yukon or Red, Washed and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 onion Large, quartered
- 4 cloves Garlic Skin removed
- 3 tsp. Olive Oil
- ½ tsp. Oregano Dried
- ½ tsp. Sage Dried
- ½ tsp. Parsley Dried
- ½ tsp. Rosemary Fresh
- ½ tsp. Marjoram Dried
- ½ tsp. Basil Dried
- ½ tsp Thyme Dried
- ½ Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Combine all of the herbs in a small bowl and mix together.
- Place the vegetables in a baking dish or in cast iron frying pan. Add 1-2 tablespoons of Olive oil, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture. Toss to evenly coat all the vegetables.
- Rub olive oil on the chicken, including under the skin. Salt and pepper the chicken liberally and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of the herb mixture on each breast. Place the chicken breast on top of the vegetables and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice over the chicken.
- Place the dish in the oven and roast until a meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the chicken measures 165°. About 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and tent the chicken for 10 minutes. If the vegetables are not completely tender, return them to the oven to complete cooking while the chicken rests.