Here is an easy versatile pizza dough recipe for your collection. Have you been afraid to make your own pizza dough because it seems to complicated? Well, it really can’t get much easier then this recipe. I am not a master baker, but this recipe works for me every time and it will work for you too!
There really is no need to order out when you can make a great pizza at home. All you need is a little time and some staples that you probably already have in your pantry. Flour, water, yeast, olive oil, sugar and salt. That is it!
The best thing about making this at home is you have the fun of creating your very own version of pizza, stromboli, calzones, etc. Make it a fun family night, a girls night or even a boys night in!
Making the Dough
- Add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and mix to dissolve the sugar.
- All yeast needs to activate it is the sugar and warm water ( Do not use hot water or it will kill the yeast.)
- Allow the yeast to sit until it becomes foamy, about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the flour and salt to a mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer with a dough hook attachment, add the water mixture and olive oil to the flour.
- Mix until the dough forms a ball and all of the flour has been integrated.
- If the dough is very sticky, add a couple tablespoons of flour and mix again.
- Pour the dough out on to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes adding a little flour as you go so that the dough does not stick to the surface.
- When the dough is smooth it is done.
- Set the dough in a greased bowl and turn the dough in the bowl so that it gets completely covered in oil.
- Cover the bowl with a lint free towel and let it rise in a draft free location.
- Once the dough has doubled in size it is ready to use.
- Punch it down and form as you like.
- 3½ – 4 cups Flour and more for dusting you work surface
- 1 1/4 cups water warm
- 3 tsp Dry active yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- Stir the yeast and sugar into the warm water and let sit for 5 minutes. The yeast is ready when it becomes foamy.
- In a mixer with the dough hook, add the 3 1/2 cups of flour and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the water and olive oil and mix until the dough forms a ball and all of the flour has been incorporated. If the dough is very sticky, and 1/2 cup of flour and mix until it is full integrated.
- Pour the dough out on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and not very sticky.
- Form into a ball and place in a large bowl greased with olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray. Roll the dough around the bowl so that it is complete covered in oil.
- Cover with a lint free towel and place in a draft free area to rise for about an hour. The dough should rise to twice it's size.
- Punch down and use as desired.