This tasty Italian chicken is coated with an Italian inspired rub and baked with peppers and onions for added flavor. It is so easy that it is perfect for a weeknight meal but works well for company too! Serve along with some Easy Steak Fries for a delicious dinner even your pickiest eater will love.
Table of contents
Why this Recipe is so good
There are several reasons why this recipe works so well.
- First, I use bone in chicken thighs with the skin on because they stay moist and tender during cooking and the skin gets golden, crispy and oh so yummy!
- The seasoning is made with pantry staples, and it is simple but incredibly tasty.
- Peppers and onions get browned, tender, and delicious while they add another layer of flavor to the chicken.
- This main course only takes about 40 minutes to prepare.
Ingredients you need to make this dish
Just a few good ingredients are all you need to make this scrumptious Italian Chicken
Bone in Chicken thighs – Leave the skin on adds a lot of flavor and helps to keep the meat moist. But this recipe will work without the skin if you want to remove it.
For the seasoning: Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Vegetables: White Onions and sweet peppers (red, yellow, and orange) bring a lot of vibrant color and savory flavor to the chicken. I don’t use the green peppers in this recipe because they are a little stronger flavored and I do not want them to overpower the chicken.
How to make Italian Chicken
This recipe comes together and can be on your table in no time.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle chicken thighs with the rub, making sure to evenly coat them.
- Cut the vegetables and toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the chicken with the peppers and onions on a sheet pan for 35 – 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°.
Make sure to season under the skin and the bottom of the chicken. You want these amazing flavors in every bite you eat.
Cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil for quick clean up.
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can do this with any part of the chicken. If you love breasts, or legs, go ahead and use them but make sure to adjust the cooking time to accommodate the different size pieces of chicken.
This rub is incredibly tasty, and we especially love it on grilled chicken. It would also be a great seasoning for roasted or grilled vegetables.
If you want to add other vegetables, consider using, baby potatoes, tomatoes, or mushrooms.
Let me know how you change this up and make it your favorite chicken dinner!
What you can serve with Italian Chicken
This chicken has so much flavor that you really can keep the rest of the meal simple. Here are some serving suggestions:
Rice – I make mine with chicken broth and a little cheese to dress it up.
Potatoes – simple roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes would be delicious.
Grilled or roasted asparagus, broccoli, or green beans.
A crisp dinner salad or a Tomato and Cucumber salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can place the chicken in a plastic freezer bag or an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
You can reheat this in the microwave but the skin on the chicken will not crisp up. I would recommend reheating it uncovered in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes.
Other Chicken Recipes you may want to try:
Simple Agrodolce Chicken (Sicilian Sweet and Sour Chicken)
Quick Chicken with Spinach and Tomatoes
Italian Chicken with Peppers and Onions
- 4 Chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- ½ Red bell pepper sliced
- ½ Yellow bell Pepper sliced
- ½ Orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 Onion medium, sliced
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1½ tsp Salt kosher, divided
- ½ tsp Black pepper ground, divided
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400° and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Pour 2 tbsp of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Use a paper towel to dry the chicken then brush the chicken with olive oil. Making sure to lift the skin and brush the exposed thigh meat. Sprinkle the seasoning all over the chicken including under the skin.
- Place the sliced peppers and onions in a bowl and toss with the remaining 2 tbsp of olive, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- Arrange the chicken on the baking pan and pour the peppers and onions all around the thighs.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken registers 165° and the juices run clear.