Summer is here and this Salmon Burger with Mango Slaw and Lime Aioli is perfect for those hot days when you don’t want to turn on the stove. I love these salmon burgers, they are healthy, tasty and easy to put together. Best of all your kitchen stays cool!
We have been looking for some healthy alternatives to some of our favorite dishes and this is a great way to add fish to your diet. Salmon is so good for you and making it into a burger was a fun and different way to serve it.
I buy the salmon patties from the grocery store already to go on the grill, but you can easily make them using fresh salmon. Just chop the salmon into very small pieces and form into a patty. Then salt and pepper both sides before you put them on the grill. You may want to use a grill topper so that the salmon does not break up on the grates as you try to flip it. Also make sure to oil your topper or the grill grates so that the fish does not stick.
The lime aioli is the key flavor maker here. A simple mixture of mayonnaise, lime juice, grated lime peel, finely diced jalapeno and garlic is a refreshing and tangy addition to the salmon. This is so easy to prepare. And you can make it as spicy or mild as you like by adjusting how much jalapeno you add. I like it a little on the spicier side but my husband likes it milder so I split the difference! Make this about an hour before you plan to serve the salmon burgers. You want to give the flavors time to meld together.
Lastly I prepare the slaw. Another time saver here is to buy the already shredded Cole slaw mix from the grocery store. Don’t buy anything that is already dressed, you want the crunchiness from the cabbage and carrots but the flavors from the lime aioli. You can also easily make your own by shredding the cabbage and carrots yourself.
The star of the slaw is the diced mango and red onion that I add to it. I love, love, love mango! The sweetness from the mango goes so well with the red onion and the Coleslaw, that I eat it straight out of the bowl.
Yesterday I paired these burgers with grilled asparagus and it was a perfect summer dinner. No need to dirty pans, turn on the stove or the oven and clean up was a breeze!
I would love to hear how you like this and what you pair with your salmon burgers!
Looking for another way to serve fish? Try this delicious haddock recipe.
Salmon Burgers with Mango Slaw and Lime Aioli
- 1 cup Cabbage shredded or Cloe Slaw mix with no dressing
- ¾ cup Mango diced
- 2 tbsp Red onion diced
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- ½ tsp Lime peel grated
- ½ tsp Jalapeño finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed, optional
- 1 clove Garlic minced or crushed through a garlic press
- 4 Salmon patties 4-6 oz each
- 4 Hamburger rolls
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine the mango, shredded cabbage and red onion in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, grated lime peel, jalapeño and garlic in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Heat your grill while you prepare the slaw and aioli.
- Salt and pepper the salmon on both sides. Cook the salmon patties on the hot grill for 4 minutes per side or until the salmon is cooked though an opaque in color.
- Toast the rolls on the grill for about 2 minutes while the salmon is cooking. The rolls are ready when there are grill marks on the rolls and the edges are lightly browned.
Assemble the Salmon Burgers
- Place a salmon patty on the bottom half of each roll, top the salmon with the aioli and cabbage and cover with the top half of the roll. Enjoy!