If you are looking for a change from the normal Buffalo Chicken wing, you really need to try this oven barbecue chicken wing recipe. This is a sweet and spicy version that I make using my own rub, which is also on my Smoked Turkey Legs. Serve these wings up with your favorite barbecue sauce and a side of blue cheese dressing and you have a party!
These chicken wings are just as good made in the oven as they are on the grill. Let them sit for a couple of hours with the rub on them to really marinate in the barbecue goodness and you won’t be sorry you did. The rub gives the wings a little sweetness, a little heat and a little smokiness. All the best flavors of barbecue! The rub is easy to make. I always make a double or triple batch so I have some handy. It is great for when I am not sure what I want to do with chicken or a pork loin. Just rub some on the meat and let it sit for a bit. Then throw it on the grill or pop it in the oven. I first made this rub for smoking meat in the summer and it is fabulous! Then one day I decided to use it on some chicken wings and put them on the grill. Soooo good!
Blue Cheese or Ranch
Okay I have to go there, after all I am from Buffalo. The home of the original chicken wing. So I want to put all arguments to rest. In Buffalo, we serve wings with blue cheese dressing, not ranch. Here, the two dressings are not interchangeable. It is heresy to a Buffalonian to put ranch dressing next to a plate of chicken wings. But if you are not from Buffalo and you are not serving your wings to a Buffalonian, then feel free to serve ranch with your wings, but I would highly recommend the blue cheese!
Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Wings
- 5 lbs. Chicken Wings Cut the wings between the flats and the drumstick. Remove and discard the end keeping only the flats and the drumsticks.
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until evenly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- Place 1/4 of the wings in a large plastic storage bag.
- Add 1/4 of the rub to the bag, close the bag tightly and shake to coat the wings completely.
- Remove the wings and place on a baking sheet with a roasting rack.
- Repeat with the remainder of the wings.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 35-40 mins. turning half way through.
- Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce and blue cheese dressing.