My Mediterranean Layered Dip is a zesty, lively appetizer. This dish is as much a feast for the eyes as it is for the tummy! One of the things that makes Mediterranean food so appealing is the colorful array of vegetables that make up this cuisine. There is nothing bland about it!
In this appetizer I took some of my favorite foods and combined them into one layered dish. The idea is similar to the well known Mexican 7 Layer dip. The base is a layer of cream cheese dressed up with Italian seasoning, then I add a layer of hummus, a layer of tomato and cucumber salad, a layer of Kalamata and Green Olives, Feta cheese and topped off with roasted red peppers. It is a dip and a salad all in one!
One of the best things about this dip is that there is no right or wrong way to make this. You should feel free to add your favorite veggies. In the Mediterranean, they use so many different vegetables in their cooking that you could add artichoke hearts, chick peas, caponata, roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and so on! The possibilities are endless!
I made two versions of this. I started both with my favorite flavor of hummus; roasted red pepper. In the first version I did not add the cream cheese layer. My husband loved it! In his words, “it is almost addicting”! I thought that it might be too bold for some, so I made a second one with the seasoned cream cheese to tone it down a bit. That version was really good too! Try them both and tell me what you think!
Mediterranean Layered Dip
- 1½ cups Hummus
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese softened
- 2 tbsp. Sour Cream
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ cup Kalamata Olives
- ¼ cup Green Olives
- 1 cup Tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup Onion diced
- ½ cup Cucumber diced
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Basil dried
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano dried
- ¼ cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup Roasted red pepper diced
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, Italian seasoning, salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture along the bottom of an 8×8 dish.
- Spoon the hummus on to the cream cheese and spread in an even layer.
- Mix the tomatoes, onion, cucumber and olives in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt, oregano and basil to the tomatoes and toss.
- Sprinkle the tomato mixture evenly over the hummus.
- Scatter the Feta cheese over the vegetables and then top it with the roasted red pepper.
- Can be refrigerated for an hour before serving.