It’s grilling season and there is nothing easier or tastier then a Sausage Burger with Basil Pesto Aioli. Served with melted provolone cheese, tomatoes, onion and roasted red peppers, these burgers are delicious. I’ve made these a few times this year and I love them more each time I have them!
The idea for these burgers came to me by way of my sister-in-law Mary Beth. She is an excellent cook so I listen when she says she has a recipe that she likes. Mary Beth happened to mention that she likes to add a little sausage to her ground beef when making burgers and I thought that sounded like a great idea!
I use a combination of 80% lean ground beef and Italian sausage. You don’t have to be exact with the ratio of beef to Italian sausage, but I like about 1/3 lbs. of sausage to 1 lb. of beef. I also use sweet Italian sausage but these would be good with hot sausage as well.
Basil Pesto Aioli
You can’t just top a burger that sounds that good with plan old ketchup and mustard. These burgers needed a topping that is bold enough to stand up to Italian sausage. I have a very nice basil plant in my garden this year so why not compliment the burgers with a pesto aioli.
The basil pesto aioli is really delicious and it can be used on other sandwiches, fish, chicken, you name it. This recipe makes extra, so you can have some on hand in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
To make the basil pesto aioli combine fresh basil, grated parmesan cheese, garlic, mayonnaise, olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor until it is creamy. It is easy but it delivers loads of flavor and it works well with the sausage in the burgers.
Sausage Burgers with Basil Pesto Aioli
Basil Pesto Aioli
- 1 cup Basil leaves fresh
- 2 tbsp Walnuts toasted
- 6 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Ground Beef 80% Lean
- ⅓ lb Sweet Italian Sausage casings removed
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers whole
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese slices
- 4 Hamburger Buns or Kaiser Rolls
Basil Pest Aioli
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and process until the ingredients are well combined about 1 minute. With the processor running, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the aioli. Once the olive oil is incorporated the aioli is done.
- Combine the sausage and ground beef in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until the sausage is evenly distributed throughout the beef. You will have little chunks of sausage in the beef.
- Divide the meat mixture into four even portions and form each one into a patty.
- Grill over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center of the burger reads 145° for medium rare.
- During the last minute or so of cooking the burgers, place a slice of provolone cheese on the each burger.
- Split the rolls and lay them on the grill cut side down to toast them. Keep an eye on them, it should only take a minute or so. This step is optional.
- Assemble the sausage burgers by placing the cooked patty on the bottom portion of the roll and topping it with the onion, tomato, roasted red pepper and basil pesto aioli.